We aim for pollution-free production. UMC not only complies with, but also strives to exceed international standards and all applicable environmental and safety regulations. We want to be an environmentally friendly enterprise characterized by continual improvement. UMC actively facilitates source reduction to reduce waste and costs to create a win-win situation.
UMC has installed various effective pollution control equipment for different emissions including wastewater, refuse, toxic chemicals, noise, soil and groundwater pollution control equipment, and a 24-hour central monitoring system. It continues to conduct annual pollutant tests and builds a dedicated pollution prevention team pursuant to applicable regulations. The team is in charge of pollution management and monitoring to ensure the proper functioning and performance compliance of all pollution control equipment.
Environmental Protection Policy
1. With zero pollution as the goal, strive to be a sustainable green corporation by complying with or going above and beyond the requirements of environmental laws and international conventions.
2. Implement and integrate an environmental management system into the overall organizational management system. Commit to ongoing improvement of environmental performance.
3. Actively introduce and develop green technologies, and apply to production activities and product service processes. Strive to reduce environmental loads in all life cycle stages to achieve green design, production and operation.
4. Comply with international environmental protection trends, properly utilize and recycle energy and resources, promote circular economy, and become a leader in green technology.
5. Fulfill corporate social responsibility, and cooperate with the government, the public and global business partners in ecological improvement and rehabilitation.
6. Promote environmental ethics education and green concepts to encourage eco awareness, action and responsibility in corporations, upstream and downstream supply chains and the general public.
7. Disclose environmental information and maintain ongoing communication with stakeholders. Exercise due diligence in promoting environmental sustainability.
UMC classifies air pollution into four categories: acid exhaust, alkaline exhaust, volatile organic compounds exhaust and normal exhaust. Treatment of acid exhaust and alkaline exhaust includes two stages. The first stage uses local scrubbers behind the process tools in order to treat toxic, flammable and PFC gases. For the second stage, gas is sent through central treatment tools for end-point waste gas treatment. Volatile organic compound exhaust is treated by zeolite-rotary-wheel absorbing equipment at the end-point treatment stage. All air pollution treatment and standby equipment have backup power in case of emergency.Water Pollution Prevention
UMC's water pollution prevention includes source reduction, cleaner production and end-of-pipe control technology to reduce wastewater emissions. All fabs have set up wastewater treatment equipment that conforms to emission standards. In order to conduct real-time monitoring, we set up continuous automatic water quality and quantity monitoring systems and enlist a qualified testing company to perform wastewater testing biannually. Test results always meet emission standards.Waste management
UMC aggressively promotes cleaner production and adopts state-of–the-art technology to facilitate sustainable operation and development. UMC first selects its target from raw materials that produce major waste by referring to international trends and government-controlled chemicals. Related departments will then conduct small-scale experiments to evaluate technology feasibility while reducing this target in conformance with the company’s cost-down policy and internal benchmark method. If the methods prove feasible, the reduction techniques will be applied in each fab.
Besides facilitating source reduction, our priority waste treatment strategy is recycling, followed by use as auxiliary fuel. Finally, the remaining waste is incinerated or sent to a landfill.
Internal recycling case:
- Packaging Recycling and Reduction: UMC reuses packaging from raw materials and used products after obtaining clients' permission, to reduce packaging consumption and waste generation. The company will continue to cooperate with other organizations. From influencing customers to learning from suppliers and downstream supply chains, the company is increasingly able to use packaging that is recyclable or contains recyclable materials. In 2017, the recyclable package materials used reached 79,000 kgs in the well-established Hsinchu 8-inch production line.
- Slurry recycling and reuse: UMC is working with slurry suppliers to develop a new recycling technology which allows the supplier to make adjustments to waste slurry before reusing it in the manufacturing process. The benefits of slurry recycling are reduced cost from reusing resources. In 2017, 1,682 tons of slurry particles were recycled for reuse.
All of UMC’s waste is outsourced for treatment by contractors. In addition to selecting a qualified contractor and best treatment methods, UMC also established an annual audit plan for its waste contractors and conducts regular audits in the treatment plant.
Since waste types tend to diversify, UMC actively works with manufacturers to develop diverse reuse of technology and channels. We are committed to reducing waste and have an ultimate goal of zero waste.
Back to Top