UMC Shareholders Approve NT$0.40 Cash Dividend at Annual Shareholders Meeting
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C. – June 11, 2013 â€“ United Microelectronics Corporation (NYSE: UMC; TWSE: 2303) ("UMC"), a leading global semiconductor foundry, today held its 2013 annual shareholders meeting.
At the meeting, shareholders approved:
1. The 2012 Business Report and Financial Statements. The Company's revenue for 2012 was NT$105.99 billion and net income after tax was NT$7.82 billion, with earnings per share of NT$0.62.
2. The 2012 retained earnings distribution, which includes shareholder cash dividend of NT$5,061 million, estimated at approximately NT$0.40 per share, employee cash bonus of NT$1,040 million, and directors' remuneration of NT$6.95 million. The details of the dividend distribution rate and date will be set during the Company's upcoming Board Meeting.
3. The amendment of the Company's "Loans to Other Parties Procedure" and "Endorsements and Guarantees Procedure", to reflect changes in relevant government regulations.
4. The release of restrictions of competitive activities for Appointed Directors.
5. The issuance plan of private placement for common shares, ADR/GDR or CB/ECB, including Secured or Unsecured Corporate Bonds.
The amount of shares issued or convertible is proposed to be no more than 10% of registered capital. Details of each agenda item can be found in the investor relations section at http://www.umc.com.
UMC (NYSE: UMC, TWSE: 2303) is a leading global semiconductor foundry that provides advanced technology and manufacturing for applications spanning every major sector of the IC industry. UMC's robust foundry solutions allow chip designers to leverage the company's leading-edge processes, which include 28nm poly-SiON and gate-last High-K/Metal Gate technology, mixed signal/RFCMOS, and a wide range of specialty technologies. Production is supported through 10 wafer manufacturing facilities that include two advanced 300mm fabs; Fab 12A in Taiwan and Singapore-based Fab 12i. Fab 12A consists of Phases 1-4 which are in production for customer products down to 28nm. Construction is underway for Phases 5&6, with future plans for Phases 7&8. The company employs over 15,000 people worldwide and has offices in Taiwan, mainland China, Europe, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and the United States. UMC can be found on the web at http://www.umc.com.
Note from UMC Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
Some of the statements in the foregoing announcement are forward looking within the meaning of the U.S. Federal Securities laws, including statements about future outsourcing, wafer capacity, technologies, business relationships and market conditions. Investors are cautioned that actual events and results could differ materially from these statements as a result of a variety of factors, including conditions in the overall semiconductor market and economy; acceptance and demand for products from UMC; and technological and development risks. Further information concerning these risks is included in UMC's filings with the U.S. SEC, including on Form F-1, F-3, F-6 and 20-F, each as amended.