Apr 06, 2021
The "National Enterprise Environmental Protection Award" is the biggest award established by the Environmental Protection Administration, Executive Yuan for honoring enterprises in fulfilling their corporate social responsibilities and promoting environmental protection related work. UMC has won this Award for 18 consecutive years [Note 1]; the company’s Fab 12A in the Southern Taiwan Science Park (STSP) has participated in the competition and won the Award for the past two years. UMC participated in the 1st National Enterprise Environmental Protection Award in 2019 (after the award was re-organized) and won the Gold Award. In 2020, UMC received the greatest honor by winning both the "Best Award" and the "Green Action Award."
Note 1: The "National Enterprise Environmental Protection Award" was formerly known as the "Republic of China Enterprise Environmental Protection Award." The award has been held for 29 years and was reorganized and renamed in 2019. The National Enterprise Environmental Award includes the Best Award, Gold Award, Silver Award, Bronze Award and Nomination Award.
Fab 12A has been committed to the continuous improvement of water, electricity, and waste reduction efficiencies. It has reached the environmental protection goals of the "Green 2020 for reducing electricity consumption, water consumption, and waste production by 10% in 5 years" ahead of schedule. In recent years, it took the initiative to introduce innovative solutions such as Industry 4.0 and artificial intelligence (AI), making good use of technologies and applying AI to the daily operation and management of environmental protection. In terms of social welfare, UMC has established the "STSP Energy-Saving and Safety Service Team" in 2019 to assist disadvantaged social welfare organizations in the southern Taiwan to carry out energy-saving and fire protection as well as fire safety measures. Moreover, the team also promotes environmental protection education and delivers hazard prevention concepts to students in remote areas. With such a solid and outstanding environmental sustainability performance, UMC has been favored and recognized by the reviewers.
The following lists a few outstanding performances and fab characteristics for illustration:
1. UMC achieved and exceeded its environmental protection goals of the “Green 2020” plan ahead of schedule
2. Increased the installation of solar roof panels and obtained renewable energy certificates
Moreover, to comply with the government’s renewable energy policy in promoting the “Project to Maximize Solar Power in the Factory Area,” it is estimated that a power generation system with a capacity of about 1,455 kWp can be further installed by the end of 2023, which will increase the roof coverage rate to nearly 100%. After the expansion, the power generation of the entire fab can reach 2.85 million kWh/year.
3. Created a smart factory--Industry 4.0 was implemented to improve energy efficiency
4. Constructed LoRa wireless transmission system to instantly monitor the emission of pollutants
Note 2: LoRa (Long Range) system is the low-power wide area network (LPWAN) transmission technology applied to the Internet of Things (IoT). It has the characteristics of long-distance transmission, low-power consumption, and easy deployment. The technology has been widely used in the outdoor environment of IoT.
5. Established the STSP Energy-Saving and Safety Service Team to assist disadvantaged social welfare organizations in carrying out energy-saving and carbon reduction measures
6. Environmental protection activities were organized to promote colleagues’ awareness in environmental protection
7. UMC’s STSP Fire Brigade performed emergency response training and disaster rescue drills for the factory site in STSP